Dani Pedrosa managed to pull out a stunning lap time towards the end of the session to take pole position. Jorge Lorenzo sat in provisional pole before everyone came into the pits for a tyre change, but it was Pedrosa who bested the field.
Unbelievably, Marc Marquez brought his Saturday crash total up to 4 after bowing out halfway through the session. Remarkably, he still managed to qualify for the race tomorrow in an incredible 4th – beating both factory Yamaha’s of Maverick Vinales and Valentino Rossi who qualified in 9th and 13th. However, the factory and the satellite Yamaha’s have struggled this weekend, with all four of them having to go through Q1. It was Jonas Folger and Vinales who burst through into Q2, but both failed to qualify as well as we would expect.
Danilo Petrucci was carrying his new found podium confidence with him during the session, as he came from what seemed like nowhere in the closing minutes to set the third fastest time of the day.
MotoGP Q2 results:
- Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda Team – 1:43.870
- Jorge Lorenzo, Ducati Team + 0.331
- Danilo Petrucci, OCTO Pramac Racing + 0.350
- Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team + 0.450
- Aleix Espargaro, Aprilia Racing Team Gresini + 0.478
- Hector Barbera, Reale Avintia Racing + 0.511
- Andrea Dovizioso, Ducati Team + 0.581
- Jonas Folger, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 + 0.730
- Maverick Vinales, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP + 0.750
- Alvaro Bautista, Pull&Bear Aspar Team + 0.870
- Scott Redding, OCTO Pramac Racing + 0.982
- Andrea Iannone, Team Suzuki Ecstar + 1.058