Ahead of the British Formula 4 seasoner opener, the first official test at the Indy layout of Brands Hatch circuit, was performed on a wet day, with tough conditions. Hankook wet tyres were the only compounds used and Double R’s Kiern Jewiss set the pace.
Jewiss, in his last lap of the morning session, set a time of 52.976. The time placed Jewiss 1.871 seconds clear of Arden’s Sebastian Priaulx, who was the closest contender to Jewiss in the morning session. The two rookies to the British Formula 4 Championship proved to have plenty of pace compared to those who had already contested in the series.
Hoggard (Fortec) and Sharp (Sharp Motorsport) lined up third and fourth on the timing screens, with only 0.060 seconds separating the two drivers. Both, however, still found themselves almost 2 and a half seconds behind the pace of the leader. Arden’s Pasma and Doohan not only struggled compared to the rest of the field, but also in relation to their 2nd placed team-mate, Priaulx. Their setting times being five and six seconds off the pace of the lead car in the first session of the day.
Timings for the AM Session are Below:
- Kiern JEWISS / GBR / Double R / 52.976
- Sebastian PRIAULX / GBR / Arden / 54.847
- Johnathan HOGGARD / GBR / Fortec / 55.234
- Jamie SHARP / GBR / Sharp Motorsport / 55.294
- Hampus ERICSSON / SWE / Fortec / 55.417
- Paavo TONTERI / FIN / Double R / 55.902
- Dennis HAUGER / NOR / Arden / 56.654
- Sebastian ALVAREZ / MEX / Double R / 56.976
- Lucca ALLEN / GBR / Fortec / 57.419
- Patrik PASMA / FIN / Arden / 58.228
- Jack DOOHAN / AUS / Arden / 59.464
Conditions grew worse come the afternoon test session. Times therefore fell, with Norwegian Red Bull Junior Driver, Dennis Hauger setting the fastest time in the session, with 55.868, 0.240 seconds quicker than Fortec’s Jonathon Hoggard. Pace-setter in the morning session, Kiern Jewiss, found himself down to 6th in the afternoon session, having completed 75 laps. Despite worsened conditions in the second session of the day, Pasma and Doohan, improved their lap times from the earlier session and managed to sit themselves fourth and fifth, respectably, on the timing sheets.
Timings for PM Session are below:
- Dennis HAUGER / NOR / Arden / 55.868
- Jonathon HOGGARD / GBR / Fortec / 56.108
- Sebastian PRIAULX / GBR / Arden / 56.124
- Patric PASMA / FIN / Arden / 56.557
- Jack DOOHAN / AUS / Arden / 57.096
- Keirn JEWISS / GBR / Double R / 57.669
- Sebastian ALVAREZ / MEX / Double R / 57.977
- Jamie SHARP / GBR / Sharp Motorsport / 58.085
- Lucca ALLEN / GBR / Fortec / 58.704
- Hampus ERICSSON / SWE / Fortec / 59.133
- Paavo TONTERI / FIN / Double R / 1:01.201
Despite Jewiss and Priaulx setting good pace in the pre-season tests, it is still unknown whether or not the pace will transfer into the championship races due to changing track conditions. Either way, it is a good start to begin the year for Kiern Jewiss and Double R in the upcoming championship.